Tuesday 4 December 2012

Assessing and Responding to Students - My Style!

Time to do my job as a future teacher. Yeah! It's time to learn how to grade my student's... I mean Miss Yoon's students and their essays. My group *all males which consists of Ethan Lau, Declan, Teacher Glenn and myself, ahah* have decided to give this particular essay entitled 'A Scary Experience' a 13 out of 20. The main reason why we gave this mark to this particular students is because the plot of the story is clear and you can the flow from the introduction until the conclusion.There are some grammar mistakes like wrong use of tenses and spelling mistakes but overall, this student actually has some good command of the English language like using the phrase 'person of good intentions' and others. And the mechanical errors does not affect the flow of the story. Overall, we gave this essay a PASS!! :D
If you want to see the essay, just look below. :)

 To sum it all up, this particular student have grammatical problems and get the words jumbled up and wrong. The first thing I would to correct this mistake is make one-on-one conference with the students who are having this kind of problem, to assess the students better and identifying the areas where they are having those problems. If a lot of them are having this kind of problem, then maybe I'll arrange a group work with the students to let them know how to correct their mistakes.

For the activities, I would devise somewhat like a fill in the blanks kind of questions, but instead of only words, I'll be asking the students to continue the sentence with their own words. This is an example :
1) Mary goes __________________________
2) Ethan is ______________________

The reason why I'm doing this is because I can assess their grammatical proficiency so that I can know what's the cause of their grammatical errors. These questions can tell you a lot about the students' word choice, sentence building, tenses and other grammar mechanics.

So, is it good? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment